Dance into Ancient Wisdom
A Retreat in Tuscany
Movement, Tarot, Kabbalah, Community
with Janice Steinberg & Jennifer Lucero-Earle
May 11 – 18, 2024
Join us in a magical setting in Tuscany to explore the wisdom traditions of Tarot and Kabbalah (Jewish mysticism), as well as the deep wisdom of our own bodies. Our intimate group will enjoy daily movement classes and prompts for reflection and creative expression, as we investigate how these ancient ways of knowing may reverberate in our lives. Excursions and special ceremonies will offer an invitation to go deeper.
Plan to have fun! We look forward to relaxing in the spa and pool, taking walks in the stunning setting, and feasting on locally sourced meals accompanied by lively conversation and laughter. There will also be ample contemplative, restorative time, to “let the soft animal of your body love what it loves” (to quote Mary Oliver).
Clicking on the link below will take you to our retreat information and registration pages.
For our planning purposes, please register by March 15, 2024
Your Guides … & a Very Special Host
Janice Steinberg and Jennifer Lucero-Earle draw on extensive movement backgrounds—dance (Nia, modern, African, Shake Your Soul, authentic movement), yoga (including yoga nidra), QiGong, and somatic therapy—as well as deep personal study of Tarot (Jennifer) and the Kabbalah Tree of Life (Janice). We look forward to sharing our passions with you!
You may have met the delightful Kriszti Van Slyke when she was part of our San Diego dance community. Kriszti now directs Terzo di Danciano and will give us an especially warm welcome.
Located 2 hours southeast of Florence, Terzo di Danciano is small medieval hamlet that has been lovingly restored, retaining the unique character of its history while offering the comforts of a graceful country home. Known since Roman times for its breathtaking panoramic position, the property is surrounded by serene and pristine nature.
• The terraced garden has ancient mulberry and olive trees which are harvested to produce their own cold-pressed olive oil.
• The swimming pool uses filtered rain water and is surrounded by a sunbathing deck oriented towards the rising sun.
• The private spa center provides a serene place to unwind and offers a large whirlpool bath, Turkish bath, infrared sauna, cold shower and massage/facial treatments.
• The elegant bedrooms and living areas are made of natural handcrafted materials decorated with colors that maintain the patina and charm of centuries past.
• Movement sessions will be held in the spacious theater, which boasts high ceilings, aged wooden floors, bare stone walls and lovely natural light.
The Main House is a magnificent 16th century construction and has 10 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms. The floors, stairs, plasterwork, paint and vaults have all been renovated to preserve their unique character and history. Rooms on the upper floors have stunning views of the surrounding countryside, while the ground room floors have direct access to the terrace and garden. Providing the best of both worlds, this setting with Old World charm also has high-speed WiFi.
- 7 nights accommodation in beautifully restored rooms
- Three delicious locally-sourced, homemade meals per day: international breakfast, buffet lunch, seated dinner; accommodations can be made for special dietary requirements, e.g., gluten-free
- Daily movement sessions, appropriate for all levels
- Explorations and experiences with Kabbalah and Tarot
- Welcoming aperitivo with excellent local prosecco and finger food
- Full use of property amenities: swimming pool, terraced gardens, private spa facility (whirlpool bath, Turkish bath, infrared sauna)
- Harmony Jade yoga mats, foam blocks and straps as well as soft blankets for meditation
- Special group cooking class and dinner
- Guided day-long excursion to the magical city of Siena
- Half-day excursion to farmers’ market in Cortona or Umbertide
What’s not included:
- Airfare to and from Italy
Trip (with travelers health) insurance – highly recommended
Spa services such as massage
Wine (available for purchase) with meals
Any and all gratuities for accommodations, transportation, spa treatments, etc.
Credit card, wire transfer, and processing fees
Roundtrip transportation to/from Florence airport on May 11 & 18, 2024. *Terzo di Danciano has a list of transportation options that we can provide you with.
- Private room, private bath – € 3250
King- or queen-sized bed with ensuite bathroom.
- Private room, shared bath – € 3000
Bath is shared with one other person.
- Shared room, ensuite bath – € 2800
Spacious room for 2 people with ensuite bath.
Please note: We’re charging in euros because that’s how we pay Terzo di Danciano. The booking site we’re using will do the currency exchange for you.
Stay tuned for upcoming ArcanaDance™ workshops and classes.
To be rescheduled for sometime in 2024…
ArcanaDance™ – The Dance of Divine Play: Embodied Storytelling, Tarot, and Movement – To be Rescheduled once Coronavirus Pandemic stabilizes and passes
Lila, or Leela, is a practice and philosophy in yoga that roughly translates into “creative play with the divine.” It is spontaneous and vibrant energy that invites us to co-create our life in partnership with outside forces – nature, spirit, humanity, etc. We all carry narratives and stories about our history, present and in some ways, about our future. Divine play invites us to shift those narratives from a new lens, one rooted in a delightful dance with a generous, fun, ever-flowing, bountiful and loving Universe.
In the tarot, the Fool card is the archetype associated with trust and joy in the journey of life.
Some of our stories have been written. Some of those stories may desire a new narrative or mythology. There are stories eager to be written and new narratives waiting to be discovered. There can be joy and lightness in the creation of and sharing of story. The Fool will be our trusted guide and co-creative archetypal partner on our journey to create a personal narrative sourced from divine play.
What you will experience:
- A somatic exploration of divine play
- An introduction to embodied storytelling
- Playing with tarot as a creative story-shifting catalyst
- The seeds of a new narrative
ArcanaDance™ is somatic tarot. Created by Jennifer Lucero-Earle, this therapeutic practice is designed to facilitate self-discovery, empowerment, transformation & healing through a fusion of tarot, guided movement & music. No tarot or dance experience required.
There will be several tarot decks available for participants to use during the workshop. However, participants are welcome to bring a tarot deck of their own, if they have one they’d like to use.
Jennifer Lucero-Earle is the creator of ArcanaDance™, a therapeutic somatic practice that fuses archetypes, self-inquiry and tarot with guided movement. She is also a somatic therapist-in-training and movement facilitator with over 30 years of experience working with the tarot. What Jennifer loves most in the world is facilitating safe, non-judgmental, and culturally compassionate experiences for people to move, feel, heal, and grow into their most joyful self.
Liziah Richards is a mental health therapist, Yoga instructor, writer, and performing artist that is passionate about helping people. Through movement, therapeutic conversation, intuitive guidance and heart opening practices she supports people to live with more compassion and joy. She helps people heal from painful life experience and create new awareness and patterns that allow healthier relationship with self and others.
Online Course Launching in 2024
Stay tuned for more information. Early next year, I will be launching the first online ArcanaDance™ course.
An ArcanaDance Course with Jennifer Lucero-Earle
Dancing with the Devil: A Somatic Exploration of the Shadow
In the tarot, The Devil represents the archetype of the shadow. The shadow embodies any part of us that we’ve banished to the dark – the parts of us we’ve denied expression, exposure and discovery. The shadow also reveals to us a complex relationship with power. Who, what, where and how do you give your power over, and at what cost?
Somatic means “relating to the body.” The body is not only where we experience life, it is the frontier of our transformation. ArcanaDance™ brings the tarot to life through the body. In this course you will learn about the physical imprint of the shadow as expressed and experienced through the language of the body. You will also learn how to use and transform the contractive energy of the shadow into something new and more expansive.
Join us for Six Online Sessions:
- Intro to the Shadow via Somatic Tarot
- Exploring the Personal Shadow
- Exploring the Collective Shadow
- Moving with the Shadow
- Transforming the Shadow
- Shadow Council
- Live sessions (will be recorded)
- PDF lessons with journaling prompts
- Short video lessons (movement) with accompanying suggested playlists
- Office Hours/Q&A via Private Facebook Group
More information to come!
Bring a workshop or retreat to you:
If you are interested in hosting Jennifer to bring an ArcanaDance workshop or experience to your community or group, please contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Jennifer enjoys customizing ArcanaDance workshops for both private and public groups.
Stay tuned to my website to learn of offerings throughout the country, including online, in the year ahead (2020).
List of workshops and retreats:
See a list of previous workshops and retreats here.
What people are saying: